Do you need community service hours for school, scouts or church? Are you looking for an opportunity to get your hands dirty and give back to the community? Primrose Farm is always in search of volunteers to help with livestock chores, gardening, and farm clean-up.
Regular Volunteering for Teens & Adults
Primrose Farm couldn’t operate without the help of dedicated adult and teen volunteers! These amazing people assist with everything from animal chores to tractor maintenance to special event staffing to gardening. Want to join this elite crew? Follow the steps below:
- Visit the farm and take one of our drop-in classes. This gives you an opportunity to better understand the site before committing to volunteering.
- Meet with Primrose Farm staff. We want to learn about you, your interests and your availability.
- Complete the volunteer waiver available here. Forms can be submitted in-person or via email.
- Coordinate volunteer training with Primrose Farm staff. This is when you’ll learn more about the daily operation of Primrose Farm and the specifics of any applicable chores/activities.
- Sign up for a regular day/time to volunteer. We ask that all volunteers commit to a fairly regular schedule – whether it’s weekly, monthly or seasonally. This helps ensure that farm staff can plan chores/activities according to volunteer availability.
Based on their individual skills and interests, teen and adult volunteers assist with activities including but not limited to:
- Daily livestock chores
- Seasonal barn cleaning
- Orchard maintenance
- Trail maintenance
- Lawn and yard maintenance
- Minor construction projects
- Tractor and equipment repair
- Special event preparation and staffing
- Interpretive program assistance
Please note, teen volunteers wishing to volunteer without adult supervision must be over the age of 15 and are accepted on a case-by-case basis. Contact farm staff to set up an introductory interview.
For more information on regular volunteering at Primrose, call 630-513-4370.
Volunteering for Special Events
In addition to our regular teen and adult volunteers, we’re always look for extra help with our large special events. Volunteer-heavy events include:
- Springtime on the Farm
- Swing into Summer Barn Dance
- Moonlight Hayrides
- Farm Frolic
- Winter on the Farm
Event volunteers help with parking, ticketing, station staffing and event setup/teardown. To get signed up, call us at 630-513-4370. You can also visit the special events page here (link) for more information on each of these programs.
Primrose Farm volunteers have been featured in two of the St. Charles Park District’s most recent volunteer spotlights. Check them out below:
Spring 2016 – Community Unit School District 303’s On the Job Training Program
Winter 2015 – Katherine Thompson & Family